Clearing and Forwarding Agents (CFAs) are persons licensed by the Commissioner for Customs & Excise Department to carry on the duty of processing documents and clearing goods from customs control on behalf of the importers/exporter.
A. What are the general requirements for a person to be registered as CFA?
To apply for CFA a person must submit to the Commissioner for Customs and Excise Department the following documents;
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Certificate for the Company (for new applicants only)
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Certificate for each Director (for new applicants only)
- VAT Registration Certificate, if any (for new applicants only)
- Current Tax Clearance Certificate showing tax position for the current year
- Certified copy of Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company (for new applicants only)
- Certified copy of the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Name Registration Certificate, where applicable (for new applicants only);
- A recent passport size photograph (not more than one megabyte) of directors and staff duly certified by a Notary Public or an Advocate (for new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
- A certified valid identification document for each of the persons referred to in (vii) above i.e. National Identification Card issued by NIDA or Passport (for new applicants and for renewals where there are changes);
- Letter(s) from guarantor(s) confirming renewal of bond securities (for renewals), or a relevant Customs bond security (for new applicants prior to issuance of license)
- A certified copy of title deed or lease agreement for a suitable office for the company which should be equipped with computing facilities capable of connecting to the Tanzania Customs Integrated System (TANCIS) – to be subjected to verification prior to granting of license;
- Non-existence of any outstanding Customs matter i.e. Audit query, abandoned TANSADs, outstanding transit transactions or any other unresolved Customs issue (for renewals);
- A letter from the Business Registration and Licensing Agency (BRELA) stating the current status of the company’s Directors and Shareholders; (for new applicants and for renewal where there are changes);
Other required conditions while applying for CFA:-
Application for both NEW and RENEWAL of licenses will be received and processed online through TANCIS.
- New Applicants:
New applicants for Customs Agency Licenses will be required to comply with the following:-
- Obtain Company password which will be needed during the process of application. PASSWORD APPLICATION FORMS number F-ITD-067-B is available on TRA Website i.e. www.tra.go.tz.
- Payment of non-refundable application fee of fifty (50) US dollars. Training program to NEW APPLICANTS WILL BE CONDUCTED AS WILL BE SPECIFIED IN THE ADVERTISEMENT.
- Have at least two employees in charge of clearance with diploma, certificate in customs training from a recognized institute or a minimum of five years’ experience in customs operations.
- Submit an introduction letter in duplicate affixed with passport size photograph of one competent staff who will represent the Company in the Interview containing email address and telephone contact .
- Submit two copies of introduction letter affixed with passport size photographs of a competent staff that will represent in the interview. The letter should also contain e-mail address and telephone contact.
The interviewee should meet the following conditions:
- He/She is a Director or a permanent staff of the Company;
- Possesses the East African Customs Clearing and Freight Forwarding Practicing Certificate (EACCFFPC);
- She/he has never been a Director of a company whose Customs agency license has been revoked; and
- Submit a signed declaration from Commissioner for Oaths with the following details:-
- That none of the Directors of the company has previously been a director of any licensed company whose license has been revoked in the last five years;
- that none of the Directors of the company is a Director of an existing licensed company; (for new applicants and for renewal only where there are changes);
- that none of the Directors or shareholders of the company is an employee of TRA;
- that the Company will undertake provision of basic Customs services on a 24/7 work arrangement.
- that the Company is not involved or does not control the activities of a shipping agency services for sea ports and inland waterway ports in Main land Tanzania.
Note: No candidate who previously successfully sat for an interview with another Company will be allowed to sit for interview.
- New Applicants shall execute a Customs Bond Security to the tune of Tshs. One Hundred million (100,000,000/=) and submit the same after passing the examination.
2. Renew of Customs Agency: -
Application for Renew of Customs Agency Licenses will be received and processed through TANCIS and must be accompanied with:
- Payment of non-refundable application fee of fifty (50) US dollars.
- Certificate of Registration for clearing and forwarding issued by TASAC
- Proof of affiliation or membership to a recognized clearing and forwarding association.
- Valid customs license for the preceding year
NB: Only shortlisted applicants for customs agents licenses will be contacted through TANCIS and Public Notice for Interview.
What are the roles and responsibilities of CFA?
- To advice importers accurately on the processes and procedures for clearance of goods.
- To ensure that proper documents are lodged and goods are cleared as per the requirement of the law.
- To keep and maintain all records as per the requirement of the law.
Duration of the License
In accordance with the provision of the East African Community Customs Management Act, 2004 all licenses are valid for a calendar year i.e. 1 January to 31 December
List of Licensed Customs Agents for the year 2022 (CFAs)