Export means to take or cause goods to be taken out of Tanzania. Exports are free of duty and taxes except for three items; Raw hides and skins which are chargeable to export duty at the rate of 80% of FOB value or USD 0.25 per kg whichever is higher, Raw cashew nuts which are chargeable to export duty at the rate of 15% of FOB value or USD 160 per metric ton whichever is higher and Wet blue leather are levied at the rate of 10% on FOB.
How do I process export documents?
- The exporter is required to appoint a Licensed Clearing and Forwarding Agent (CFA) to clear his/her goods for export
- List of Clearing and Forwarding Agents
- Documentation process is done online and completed before examination of goods and export release.
- The exporter hands over the documents to the CFA who uploads them in the Tanzania Customs Integrated System (TANCIS for Mainland) and ASYCUDA++ for Zanzibar together with all attachment of relevant documents including permits from Other Government Departments (OGD).
- Assessment of export taxes and duties if any.
- CFA make booking of container(s) from shipping line/agent.
- Stuffing of export cargo into container(s) under supervision of TRA and Other Government Departments (OGDs)
- Shipping line/agent submit to TRA export vessel schedule information.
- TRA audit (approve/reject) loading declaration (approved loading declaration automatically disseminated to Terminal operator as Loading List and becomes expected carry in).
- Gate check in conformation by TRA terminal gate.
- Terminal submits Carry in report to TRA to confirm arrival of export cargo at Terminal.
- Loading result report (short/normal loaded cargo) submitted by terminal to TRA.
- Conformation of loading report by TRA.
- Submission of Export manifest by Shipping Line/Agent to TRA.
- TRA Audit ( approve) export manifest (automatically strike off inventory from terminal)
- For exportation made through Zanzibar the exporter hands over the documents either manually or electronically to the CFA who uploads them in the Automated Systems for Customs Data (ASYCUDA++) and lodges the same to TRA; whereby a reference number is automatically generated.
- The exporter is required to inform the customs before loading the goods in the container or truck as the customs officer is required to supervise the loading process
- Booking of the space at the shipping line is not required for exports made through overland.
What are the required documents?
The following documents shall be produced for export:
- Parking list
- TIN certificate (exporter)
- Authorization letter
- Export certificates from relevant Authorities depending on nature of the goods to be exported. The certificates/permits may include.
- Certificates from Food and Drugs Authority
- Certificates from Ministry of Agriculture for crops
- Certificates from ministry of mines for minerals
- Certificates from Ministry of Natural Resources